Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Kodachrome is no more

  1. #1
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK it's official,Kodachrome bites the dust.I plan to try the new Ektachrome 64T before I form an opinion,but I'm just wondering what are everyone's plans here?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well,

    First of all, I'm sorry to see K-40 go. It's something I've been using since I was a teenager and it's become confortable to use, but time passes and change comes.

    (..to every thing there is a season.)

    Now here's the flip side. Personally, I'm jammed with K-40. Last fall they stopped selling it with processing included, so I took warning while there was still remaining stock and bought an average year's worth. Of course Murphy's law kicked in and I haven't had an idea worth filming ever since! As a bonus, now there's a theoretical cuttoff date when Kodak won't process it any more. (That's all I needed: a deadline!)

    Other than that, I'm assessing the ability of my cameras to satisfactorilly expose the new 64 ASA stock, and I'm at 2 NOs (Twin Minolta XL-401s), a Probably (Bolex 280 Macro) and a Yes (GAF ST/602)

    I believe that the Bolex 160 uses a wedge to read the notch on the cartridge, and will read any and all ASAs between 25 and 160, so you should be OK.

    (May need to revive my currently defunct Bolex 150 Super on that basis)

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I'm in wait-and-see mode.

    I'm afraid this bodes a beginning in increased prices. 20 cartridges of K-40 would cost me about $340 for film, processing, sales tax and shipping.

    I'm afraid 20 carts of the new 64T will cost well over $600 once you include processing, sales tax and shipping.

    Plus-X costs $435. I may have to limit myself to B&W.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    According to Dwayne's website,they say they will process it as long as there is still sufficient demand to process what's left.ECO went defunct in 1985 and I was still getting it processed as late as 1989.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've got 2 K40 carts left and I'm not buying anymore. I'm bowing out, no more Super 8 for me. I'll buy K40 in Regular 8 as long as I can but then it will only be occasional B&W in R8 only. I'm already looking for a 16mm camera. The cost of 16mm will limit filming big time but its better than settling for 64T in Super 8/8mm.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member FastFilms's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    I can't wait to try out the "NEW" super-8 64-T filmstock! I say "NEW" because I used to work at a photolab a few years ago and would shoot some 35mm slides from time-to-time. I used to be able to develop my own slides using the E-6 processor in the lab. If the film is exposed correctly, it will probally yeild a decent image even if the film frame is very small compared to a 35mm still frame. Yet, I too, like many other's on this site understand that nothing, no other filmstock, will ever compare to K-40. I'm sad to see such a great stock leave us. Everything in life has a beginning and an end. K-40's had a good 40 year lifespan and I'll miss it, but I still look forward to the 64-T.
    Michael.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member etimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 16th, 2005
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So, one important issue that seems to be hovering around the discussion of K40's demise is the fact that a great many cameras won't be able to expose the film properly. What exactly is this all about? If your camera is set for either 40 or 160 (that's what my manual implies) is it now obsolete? or does it just require a lot of extra work and setting to get the exposure right? If this move by Kodak makes a whole generation of cameras obsolete or prohibitively difficult to work with, I think it will be a real tragedy. Tim

  8. #8
    Inactive Member pahvog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2005
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been digging around trying to find what's left of the Kodachrome 40. I bought 20 rolls recently from an on-line company. Dig around; there's still stock to be had. As far as processing the Kodachrome, I took mine to Walmart as instructed on the internet. I wrote in the special instructions "Process K-14" and a week later I got my film on a little plastic reel in a little cardboard box for about $5. Yes, that's right, $5. So that's my plan for the time being. Search the internet for stock, process at Walmart.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member nsps's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2005
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, this is my first post.

    Does anyone know if Kodak still has stock yet?

    I just got back from Cannes and got the bad news. If anyone knows where there's a good deal, please post.

    The Dwayne's site says that they'll do it not only as long as there's a demand, but as long as they're doing 16mm (which hasn't been discontinued yet, so I'm not concerned about processing for a few years. But I need to get some stock and freeze it.

    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •